The 4th International Rain Enhancement Forum taking place from the 19th till the 21st of January 2020 in Abu Dhabi will witness the announcement of UAEREP’s 2nd Cycle Project results for each of Dr Paul Lawson of SPEC Incorporated, Professor Hannele Korhonen, Head of the Atmospheric and Ocean Modeling group at the Finnish Meteorological Institute (FMI) and Professor Giles Harrison, Professor of Atmospheric Physics at the Department of Meteorology of the University of Reading, UK.
Dr Lawson’s project is studying the natural secondary ice nucleation processes in the cold parts of the clouds, specifying the types of cumulus clouds for launching the ice nucleation process and validating the hygroscopic seeding material used in cloud augmentation during the cloud seeding process. The project has resulted in a comprehensive and unique set of microphysical measurements of mixed-phase cloud properties over the UAE in both natural and seeding conditions. The measurements are being incorporated with cloud-scale modeling to evaluate the effects of hygroscopic seeding and the potential contribution of the secondary ice process.
For her part, Professor Hannele Korhonen and her team has been working on the “Optimization of Aerosol Seeding In Rain Enhancement Strategies (OASIS)” and is currently developing a statistical emulator for predicting rain enhancement potential to inform cloud seeding operations. Professor Korhonen and her team undertook field work in the Al Dhaid region of Sharjah using a custom built PollyXT LIDAR device and a doppler LIDAR to study atmospheric aerosol distribution.
Professor Giles Harrison, has been investigating the “Electrical aspects of rain generation”, by modeling the growth of charged drops to raindrops and working with the Khalifa University Center for Autonomous Robotic Systems (KUCARS) to identify UAV flight sites for targeting clouds and fog events across the UAE for a field research campaign in 2020.
- UAE Research Program for Rain Enhancement Science Announces Results of Second Cycle Awardee Research Projects
- 4th International Rain Enhancement Forum Highlights Latest Advances in Numerical Modeling, Weather Forecasting on Second Day
- 4th International Rain Enhancement Forum Kicks off in Abu Dhabi
- 4th International Rain Enhancement Forum to Highlight Artificial Intelligence, Global Perspectives of Rain Enhancement
- The 4th International Rain Enhancement Forum to be Announced the Announcement of UAEREP’s 2nd Cycle Project Results